2023
James Scott-Murphy
Industrial Design & Technology BA
Cutting Edge
Atyre
Picture of current MIB team

Project Description

Atyre is a product-service-system offering a sustainable, non-pneumatic bicycle tyre that is re-manufacturable. The prototype is resin 3D printed in Resione F69, and is a proof-of-concept for future bio-based elastomers that can replace traditional vulcanised rubbers. The tyre industry faces waste and environmental challenges, such as deforestation from natural rubber production, fossil-based synthetic rubbers, and pollution from tyre disposal. In the UK, 44,000 tonnes of bicycle tyres and inner tubes end up in landfill each year. A scrapped bicycle tyre typically contains 98% of its original material. The other 2% of its material is discarded during use, littering pathways and contaminating nearby soil and water sources. The additive-remanufacture process uses a 3D scan of the worn tyre compared with a complete 3D profile to automatically generate the necessary toolpath to repair a specific tyre. The design can be used for personal bikes or shared city bikes, creating a cradle-to-cradle system for replacing and maintaining tyres, reducing material & energy wastage and eliminating the use of non-renewable virgin materials. Customers can exchange their worn tyres at a participating bike shop, and shared-bike service providers can integrate the service.